Friday, September 18, 2009

Head of Their Class

Alexander Wang SS10

Marc Jacobs SS10

Rodarte SS10

Proenza Schouler SS10

It's been a fantastic season so far, and I can't wait to see what London, Milan and Paris come up with— I'm practically counting down the hours until the Alexander McQueen show (which will be live on his website btw, in case you're interested). But in the meantime, I'll be dreaming of and drooling over these collections and pieces in particular.

Alexander Wang, how do I count the ways? In an utterly wearable but funky collection, the dear Mr. Wang managed to make football appealing to some of the most un-athletic individuals on this planet. Never thought I would want a "varsity" sweater, that's for sure. Of course, I also never thought football shorties could cost around $800 and be made of leather. Welcome to fashion! I love the above look especially because of the worn-in but otherwise luxurious fabrics and the thrown together quality of the ensemble— though you know those proportions have to be hard to nail.

Marc Jacobs exists to make this world a better, more theatrical place. This collection excited me because he managed to take inspiration and run with it, but also simultaneously mock it, and take it apart. Note: the men's shirt underneath a ruffled gown and the deconstruction of gorgeous, prim skirt numbers by styling underpinnings on the outside. Sure, it's been done before, but I never really get tired of seeing it.

Rodarte is one of my go-to brands, though this collection didn't thrill me as much as others. Truthfully, ever since the "slasher" one a few seasons back, I haven't experienced the same high. But Laura and Kate still managed to pull out a unique interpretation of their signature draped, body-con dresses. I feel like Rodarte is best when it embodies dark simplicity, like the above frock. This photo scares the hell out of me but I still want to be that girl.

Proenza Schouler became my new love this season. Not that I'm the first- everyone in the fashion industry has adored them for awhile now. But Jack and Lazaro's work seemed more youthful this time around, with vibrant prints and flirty dresses. And I'm so glad I finally caught on to what the noise was about.

Photos from Style.com

No comments: